So the last couple of days have been difficult which led me to a grocery store shopping spree. :( I was doing so good and then 'poof' it's all down the drain. It's amazing what stress can do to a woman. Luckily my shopping consisted mostly of fruits, veggies, milk, and granola. Then I ended up with some birthday toys for W, some english muffins, and some other unnecessary items. DARN IT! Like usual I didn't get out of the store under $100. I also ran over W with the shopping cart, nearly knocked every box of cereal off the shelves, spilled grapes all over the floor, and found a tube of chapstick in W's pocket, all while B was crying. Oh the wonderful life of a practically single mother.
So yesterday marked my goal check-in. I had hoped to be back to pre-prego by this week and I was 9 pounds off. However, I still weigh less than I did when we moved here to FL so I guess I can't complain too much. To reach my goals I have set, I need to lose at least 1 pound a week for the next 11 weeks. I want to at least be back in my favorite pair of jeans by winter! My spare tire is now a bicycle tire and the ghetto booty I don't think will ever go away. I'm pretty sure my Mexican Fire Rice last night didn't help. SO HERE'S TO SALAD!
My latest research led me to weed killers. I found some pretty cool information. First of all, household use of pesticides (Round-Up, Weed-B-Gone, etc) is one of the key problems affecting our water system. They have over 900 chemicals that are all considered potentially hazardous. The even bigger problem is that these chemicals are not even tested as a combination, so who knows what happens. Most of the chemicals in pesticides are also known endocrine disrupting compounds which you can read about in my earlier posts. These products leach into our ground water and the disinfecting process at the treatment plants do not clean these chemicals out. So in a roundabout way, we are drinking Round-up. Here in FL, our water table is only a few feet under the ground so the problem is even worse. So, guilty as I am for using Round-Up for many years, I am trying to find a reasonable replacement for it. Here's some of the products I found that most of us have lying around the house.
Vinegar/Lemon Juice- The acetic acid in these products kills weeds. However, most culinary use vinegars only have about 5% so repeat applications are required. The kicker of using these is that it really only kills the leaves so you have to use it on new weeds only. It's also not selective so it'll kill anything it comes in contact with.
Bleach- This is the one I tried yesterday but then it started pouring rain so I'm guessing it's not going to work. It claims to kill the root, along with everything else it comes in contact with.
Salt- This was actually a war tactic back in the day. Sprinkle non-iodized salt on a field, and it kills the whole thing. I only had table salt, which is iodized, or else I would have tried this one.
Boiling water- Pour it on and it kills the weed, simple as that. I probably would have somehow burnt myself so I didn't try this one either. Trying to avoid all potentially dangerous material is probably best for my health right now. Jumbled brain=danger!
I am reading it.......
ReplyDeleteI also am making interesting meals from the pantry, but went and bought some chocolate yesterday so don't feel too bad!
i read, just dont usually have time to post. when the big girls were born I was very into being green family. Slowly I fell off the wagon though, but I think I am going to give it another go. The only thing I am currently still using is my grocery bags.
ReplyDelete