Background

Monday, August 23, 2010

Life

The last six months have completely changed my life. Some of you know, some of you don't, but in either case, our family is doing well. Through the confusion of life, we have decided to make some changes in our household and this blog will be my journal of research I'm doing, changes we're making, and how it's working. Should be interesting!
The first thing we've done is making the change to organic, natural products and trying to reduce our exposure to chemicals. I highly recommend reading the 2008-2009 Presidents Cancer Panel Report. It will change your life. Information like this should not be kept as quiet as it has been. Basically it says that our childrens generation is the first in history that are more likely to die before their parents. The report states this is due to obesity, diabetes, and environmental toxins. 41% will get cancer and 1 in 4 will die from it. I for one do not want to see my children go through chemo and I am trying to make life changes that will hopefully prevent this from happening. The report has several suggestions for reducing risk of cancer which has highly influenced the changes in our household to organic and natural products. The EU (European Union) has reduced their cancer rates almost 75% by reducing chemical exposure. That says something! A new panel has also been put together for autism research and although they are years away from knowing the actual causes, environmental factors were at the top of the list with heavy metal poisoning. Please do your own research and determine what is best for your family. I am by no means trying to force my views upon anyone and I will not judge anyone for what you choose to do. I just feel like I have a responsibility to at least give people an opportunity to do research.
Natural and organic products are in some cases more expensive and different than what we are used to, but the things I've tried so far are far superior to other products. I use chlorine free diapers and have not had any problems with diaper rash or even redness. B was having problems with Pampers and Huggies causing me to use rash ointment. Wipes, soap, lotion, etc are going to be my next natural product purchases. I myself have changed to organic, natural cleansers which are reducing breakouts and shrinking my pores. My face feels so much softer and cleaner than before. I've also started using organic deodorant. This was a little scary for me as I have a fear of BO, but I have been pleasantly surprised. Without the antiperspirant, I do sweat more, but it doesn't smell. I actually smell like lavender, much better than roses! A great website to check your products toxin levels is www.cosmeticsdatabase.com. As soon as I run out of other products I will change those too.
For those of you who have never tried organic food or food fresh from local growers, you are missing out. It's delicious. This is because they do not put the preservatives on them to make them last longer in the store. Keep in mind though that they need to be eaten quicker usually for this same reason.
Household products are easy to find in natural and organic. My favorite brand is Method. It all works great and smells even better. Outdoor, pesticides have been linked to be the greatest contributing environmental factor for many health problems. There are natural deterrents that work great. We use a pest control company called GenEx that is all natural. They use borax mostly which they claim is not hazardous to children or pets. Lavender is also great as well as lemon. As I'm learning, a clean house is the best way to avoid pests.
I'm still learning and researching. My views may change as I learn and experience more, but be assured that this blog will be updated frequently along my journey.

1 comment:

  1. In Australia i used to plant a bush in my garden near outdoor seating areas (you can put it in a pot and move it around) which is a natural insect repellent. I will try and remember what it was called, but it worked great and I used to rub it on my skin and it worked a treat. I also buy the organic chicken products from Publix, they have GREENWISE brand. Due to the cost, I use about 2/3 the amount of meat than i would normally, but I bulk up the meals with vegetables (organic too when I can) and you wouldn't really miss it. I mostly buy Earth's Best Brand baby food (100% organic), and sometimes the Gerber organic. I get it on sale or in bulk from Diapers.com. Earth's best also have great toddler snacks too. Cleaning products: The old vinegar in water and add some Eucalyptus or Tea Tree oil (get it at the heath food shop) for floor cleaner and counters etc. Eucalyptus and Tea tree oil is also the best on bites and stings, minor cuts and abrasions. (it also cleans white uniform shoes and hats like magic).

    ReplyDelete